Alright, alright. My damn hair. There is A LOT OF IT. So I guess I should talk about it right? Let’s set the record straight on what type of hair I have: T H I C K AS HELL/HEAD OF HAIR/MY HAIRDRESSERS ARM WORKOUT.
Oh, and it’s long too.
So what the hell do I do to keep it healthy? Let’s jump back a bit to when I first dyed my hair.
I was maybe 23 years old when I decided I wanted to be one of those ombre girls. My hair was virgin hair, never dyed just cut 100 different ways. Short hair, long hair, inverted bob, this quaff style that I rocked my freshman year of high school, back to bob again, awkward shoulder length, hair down to my ass. Just never a pixie cut, I’m not comfortable with it.
Hair bleached for the summer. Fall – glaze. Summer – more bleach. But that time I went REALLY BLONDE. Call me cocky but I totally pulled it off. I was always curious as to what I’d look like as a blonde. This phase quickly faded as I decided it was best to put a glazer over since I was over being super blonde.
At 25 I went my final version of dirty blonde highlights before calling it quits. My hair was insanely dry and brittle. At this time I was using bottles upon bottles of “It’s a 10” leave-in conditioner to bring my hair some life. Wasn’t working. So I dyed my entire coconut dark brown.
Then after someone made a comment which upset me (clearly I’m sensitive), I bleached it again to make it a lighter brown closer to my natural hair color. Again the bleach took a serious toll on my hair.
Ok so I have THICK hair – I only wash my hair maybe 1-2 times per week. I rotate my shampoo/conditioner brands every so often because after a while my hair seems to “get too comfortable” with the product. Call it a myth but this is how my hair reacts. Some of my favorites are:
- Herbal Essences – I mean the smell alone is heavenly. I use the hydrating shampoo/conditioner
- Garnier Fructis – another all-time favorite, my hair never fails to react positively to their products
- Pantene – I only use this when I travel and during summer months because it is incredibly moisturizing and my hair just soaks up the product. I often find that no matter how much I try to rinse my hair it always has some type of residue. It could be that I ignore the dime-size suggestion of the product and use a clementine size of the product.
Letting my hair naturally air dry has helped with the damage to my hair, I’d like to think that it has been a long time since my hair has been bleached so it should be grown out by now… but my hair also has a mind of its own. Roughly it takes 24 hours to completely dry. My hair absorbs water like a sponge. If I were to use a blow dryer? Then my hair would say ok we’re going to be straight today. Forget holding any type of curl or wave.
If I were to use a blow dryer it would be the Dyson. Honestly, if you have incredibly thick hair or blow out your hair daily then this is something to invest in. My hair takes about 20-30 minutes tops to blow dry with this…. Without it, I’m looking at an hour just to blow it out.
Now If I let my hair naturally air dry and I wanted to use my curling iron then I would use my Hot Tools 1 ¼’’ iron. Here is a link to a tutorial that I did forever ago. Yes, I burn myself multiple times in it, go ahead and laugh. I use the same hairspray as I did then, the Dove flexible hold spray level 4. I hate stiff hair, LET IT MOVE!
Letting my natural hair be wild and free aka I don’t feel like doing anything to it today? 1 of 2 things. Either I just leave it be and walk out of the house. Midtown Manhattan has seen me look like hagrid a least twice a month. OR I actually use some curling wave products:
- Not Your Mothers Kinky Moves Hair Cream – it smells great and actually makes my hair looks softly tasseled
- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Hair Mousse – this also smells great and it helps reduce the frizz, I use it as a combination with the NYM curl cream
- COLOR WOW Dream Coat for Curly Hair – Kim Kardashian West’s hairstylist used this. Need I say more?
Bottom line if you are going to invite me out somewhere and I need to do my hair, please give 24 hours notice. Or remind me to use the Dyson.
What are some of your favorite hair products?
- Zara Black Lace TopAlternate options: Amazon Lace Top, Amazon Lace Bodysuit, Eyelet Sleeveless Top
- Abercrombie & Fitch High Rise Mom Jeans
- Converse Sneakers
- Ray-Ban Sunglasses